Lake Moultrie

SOUTH CAROLINA


Lake Level
75.36 FEET
9/21/2017
Full Pool: 75.5
History, Alerts, More...
click here
Lake Moultrie News

Poached eels: U.S. strikes at illegal harvests as value grows

Denver Post

Date: 8/7/2017 9:59:00 PM

In one case, federal prosecutors said, three men pleaded guilty in November 2016 to trafficking more than $740,000 worth of elvers harvested illegally from the Cooper River in the Charleston, South Carolina, area. In another, Richard Austin pleaded guilty

Read More

SC Charleston SC Zone Forecast

The Daily Progress

Date: 8/7/2017 7:11:00 PM

Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Chance of rain 30 percent. Lake Moultrie. East winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent. .THURSDAY...Showers and thunderstorms likely. Highs in the mid 80s. Chance of

Read More

Brews Next: Beer events in Charleston for Mon. Aug. 7-Sun. Aug 13

Charleston City Paper

Date: 8/7/2017 4:40:00 PM

the Brewsters will start brewing at Cooper River Brewing Co starting at 8:45 a.m. Participants are asked to wear close-toed shoes and clothes that can get dirty. Everyone has a different version of church; if yours involves a pint and some sushi

Read More

Hundreds Gather to Walk for Suicide Prevention

snjtoday.com

Date: 8/7/2017 12:32:00 PM

Hundreds of people headed to Cooper River Park on Sunday, August 6th, to help put an end to the rise in suicide rates. The group gathered for an emotional ceremony at the park in Pennsauken before setting off together on a nearly four-mile Out of the

Read More

$2,000 A Pound Price Tag Threatens Eel Population

CBS DFW

Date: 8/7/2017 9:56:00 AM

In one case, federal prosecutors said, three men pleaded guilty in November 2016 to trafficking more than $740,000 worth of elvers harvested illegally from the Cooper River in the Charleston, South Carolina, area. In another, Richard Austin pleaded guilty

Read More

21
6:20:26 AM
UPCOMING EVENTS
11/23/2017 - Thanksgiving
12/25/2017 - Christmas
1/1/2018 - New Year's Day
What's New!
 
Favorites
 
Featured Business
113 West 2nd Street
Summerville, SC 29483
Add your business
Lake Moultrie Businesses
Advertisement
Boating / Waterfront
Shopping
Antiques
Tourism / Recreation
Professional Services

View Sponsor Details | View By Category | Add Your Business Here



• River: Santee River
• Length: 210 Miles
• Surface Area: 60,400 Acres
• Volume: 1,425,000 Acre Feet
• Average Depth: 19 Feet
• Maximum Depth: 75 feet
Lake Moultrie is the 3rd largest lake in South Carolina at 60,400 acres. The lake is 14-miles across at its widest point with the open water varying in depth from 10-feet to 30-feet deep. Lake Moultrie is suitable for pleasure boaters and fisherman alike. Significant aquatic vegetation growth provides habitat for largemouth bass, pickerel, bream, and many other species.

Lake Moultrie and Lake Marion make up the Santee Cooper Reservoir. Lake Moultrie is the smallest of the two impoundments. Aquatic vegetation is present in backwater sloughs and in the 900-acre Hatchery section of the lake. Originally constructed to be a separate impoundment within Lake Moultrie, the remnants of the Hatchery dike still provide enough shelter to allow significant aquatic vegetation growth that provides habitat for largemouth bass, pickerel, bream, and many other species.

Most of Lake Moultrie, unlike Lake Marion, was timbered before impoundment. However, caution is urged when navigating in shallow water on Lake Moultrie, as many submerged stumps are present on its gently sloping shorelines.

Once away from the shoreline, the stump hazards decrease and the majority of Lake Moultrie is suitable for pleasure boaters and fisherman alike. Much of the open water varies in depth from 10-feet to 30-feet deep, as numerous underwater humps and contour breaks exist throughout the lake. The lake is 14-miles across at its widest point, and a marked navigational channel runs from Pinnopolis Dam to the Diversion Canal.

Constructed in the Cooper River Drainage, over half of Lake Moultrie's shoreline is contained within a network of dams and dikes. This depression era electrification project was originally designed to route the Santee River flow down the Cooper River. However, since 1985 flow has been re-diverted to the Santee River through an Army Corp of Engineers canal and hydroelectric dam located near the town of St. Stephen.

The closure of Lake Marion Dam in 1941 trapped a founding population of striped bass and a thriving population developed in the reservoir. Investigations of this population first demonstrated that striped bass could complete its life cycle entirely in freshwater.

Lake Moultrie Restaurants
Nearby Lakes
20 miles
38 miles
78 miles
87 miles
94 miles
101 miles
103 miles
110 miles

Quick Links
Lake Moultrie News
Lake Moultrie Photos
Lake Moultrie Videos

About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Search Site
Advertise With Us
   
Moultrie.USLakes.info
THE LAKE MOULTRIE WEBSITE

Copyright 2017, Lakes Online
Privacy    |    Legal